The Ulm Stool was designed in 1954 by Max Bill, the first director of the Ulm School of Design in Germany, in collaboration with Hans Gugelot. The stool was to be used by the students and was produced in the school’s joinery workshop, using donated wood. Lightweight yet sturdy, this versatile stool can not only be used as seating, as an occasional table or shelf, but also as a transport container, serving tray, or as an additional element set on top of a table.
Max Bill was born in 1908 in Winterthur, Switzerland. After graduating from the Zurich School of Applied Arts in 1928, he started his studies at the Bauhaus in Dessau, where among others, Paul Klee and Wassily Kandinsky were his teachers. He then returned to Zurich where he worked as a painter, sculptor, graphic designer, publicist and architect. In 1950, Bill was one of the founders of the Ulm School of Design. He designed the school’s buildings and was the school’s rector until 1956. Whether created in his role as an architect, artist or designer, many of Max Bill’s objects have become classics. Max Bill was one of the most important Swiss artists of the 20th century. He died in 1994 in Berlin, at the age of 85.
Natural spruce, crossbar and foot: beech (original)
Also available in lacquered walnut and stained birch, in the colors, apple green, sky blue, dark blue, fiery red, glowing orange, lemon yellow and black.
Weight: 2.1 kg